Thursday, September 4, 2014

Power Stocks on the rise at Elko Speedway


The Power Stock division have been very entertaining this summer at Elko Speedway.  The racing has always been good in the Power Stocks but now the weekly car count has increased to over 20 and that has turned up the intensity a notch. 

Fans have also been treated to a pretty good points race as well with two new rookies in the mix for a Championship.
Before this season Nick Oxborough had only raced a couple times in a Mini Stock at Elko Speedway.  This year Nick won on opening night in the Power Stocks and has held onto a slim point lead each week along with a picking up a couple more wins.

"I'm very surprised how well we've done," said Oxborough "I've got to thank my dad and all the pit guys behind me, I couldn't ask for any better help." 
Fighting for a point title can put a lot of pressure on a race team but the number 88 car seems to remain consistent.

"I'm trying not to think about points as much, because it starts getting in your head," said Oxborough "when I get to the track I try to throw all that out but then on Monday morning I'm back looking at the points!"
#14 Grant Brown is another Power Stock rookie in the hunt at the age of just 14.  He was the 2012 Bandoleros Champion at Elko and he raced in the Short Tracker division at Raceway park last year.  Grant seems to be very calm behind the wheel but also has the intensity needed to fight for the lead in a tough division.

"I feel very grateful to be able to run so great in my rookie year" said Brown.  "A lot of rookies don't seem to have much experience, so they usually don't have this much success, while next year I will already have been racing for ten years."
"I feel especially lucky that I am able to compete against so many strong competitors," said Brown "I am learning new things every Saturday."  Grant seems to be a very respectful kid who has been taught well by his father Doug Brown who is a four time Champion in the Sportsman/Big 8 division at Elko Speedway.
Tom Doten was the "Hard Luck Loser" in a very tight Power Stock point battle last year.  Doten lost to John Lebens by only 2 points in 2013 and is still in the hunt this year after recently scoring his first win of the season.
Early this season Doten had to race a back-up car for several weeks after crashing their primary car but, now he is back in his familiar #62 and ready to make a run.  "If we keep running the way we're running, we've got a shot at it" said Doten.  "I have the same feeling as last year, I'm real hungry."
Brandon Peterson, Paul Hamilton, Paul Neisius, Shaun Prins, Taylor Goldman, Ryan Varner and Cole Neisius have all won feature events this year too.  So far, thirty-eight different drivers have earned points this year and that makes for both quantity and quality racing in the Power Stock division at Elko Speedway.

The Season Championship in the Power Stock division is this Saturday night September 13th at Elko Speedway.  Currently Nick Oxborough has a 4 point lead over Grant Brown with Tom Doten 21 points out of the lead. 

Get more information at www.ElkoSpeedway.com

*Photo by Scott Searcy/Cricket Prints

No comments:

Post a Comment